Friday, August 24, 2018

Kumon Update

Caroline is about five months into her stint at Kumon, and she is just starting level "B", which they tell me is 2nd grade math though it doesn't correlate totally with grade level.

Anyway the teacher came to see me after Caroline finished up yesterday to tell me about the new level and to show me that she'd had Caroline start on one of her new work sheets to see how she would do. She said, "I didn't show her how to do it, all I told her was to make sure she lined up her numbers under the problem properly."

So I asked the obvious question, "Well then how did she know how to carry over the 1 to the other column?"

"Beats me," she said. And then, "If she can figure out how to do it herself, it doesn't really matter how she's doing it. It actually shows me that she has very good number sense. So if you don't need to show her how to do it by carrying over the 1, don't. Just let her do it her way."



No comments: