Friday, August 19, 2011

Getting Ready for Back to School

Ben's first day of school is next Thursday. Today is his last day of camp, so he gets to hang around the house and bug Mom next Monday-Wednesday. Yesterday the classroom assignment letters were made available for pickup so I stopped by the school to get his. I was pleasantly surprised that no one else was there (I was expecting a madhouse). Then I discovered that the reason why no one was there was because I'd gotten the time wrong, and letter pick-up was from 1-3 not 12-2 like I thought. So I left, went to Target to do some errands, and came back at 1. And it was a madhouse. I did manage to get his assignment letter though (they mail the ones that aren't picked up but apparently most parents can't handle the suspense and go to pick up their letters in person).

Ben's 2nd grade teacher is Mrs. Hsu, who I had never heard of, but by the end of the day I learned from a few other parents that she was a fourth grade teacher last year, and is now teaching second grade and that she has an excellent reputation. We will go to meet her on Tuesday during the Open House. Ben's in a trailer again this year (excuse me, "mobile classroom") but since he seemed to think that was more exciting than a regular classroom, I guess I won't mind it again either.

The other major change of the beginning school year is that they changed the bell schedule and lengthened the school day so whereas last year he was in school from 8:30-2:45, this year it is 7:45-2:45. So he has to be on the bus at 7:11 every morning, as compared with 7:50 last year. (And considering that he has been sleeping until 7:30 all summer, this will be an adjustment).

We still need to buy school supplies (always a scavenger hunt when you wait till the last minute like I do). Fortunately the 2nd grade supply list doesn't look too long.

No comments: