Monday, March 6, 2017

An Expensive Bag of Grapes

On Friday I bought a bag of grapes, thinking to eat them with cottage cheese as a snack. Saturday morning the girls were getting ready to go to Costco with Joel and Ben and I were getting ready to go to synagogue. I came out of my bedroom to find that Joel and the girls had already left, Ben was upstairs in the shower, and there was a mostly empty bag of grapes sitting on the living room couch. Now, I hadn't eaten any and I had already told the girls the grapes were not for them. And there was Clara, looking innocent. Now, grapes can be quite poisonous to dogs and I knew that a) the girls couldn't have eaten that many and b) the dog will eat anything left out in her reach.

So instead of going to synagogue, Ben and I rushed Clara to the vet where they induced vomiting (she had indeed eaten around 20 or so grapes) and then kept her for four hours on IV fluids to flush her kidneys. By Saturday afternoon she was doing fine and I brought her home and then back again this morning to check her kidney function one more time. I am happy to report that (over $600 in vet bills later) she was given the "all clear"! The girls however, are grounded for life ;)

No comments: