Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Projects

This weekend Joel and I (mostly Joel) undertook a massive (for us) landscaping endeavor in the front yard. Now, you must put this in perspective -- I mean, after all, in order to undertake this endeavor we not only needed to purchase plants, mulch, and soil conditioner, but also basics like a shovel, gardening gloves, and yes, a hose (I ran over our old one with the car and ripped it so we were without a hose for the last couple of months).

The weekend started out like this:

ME: Let's go to Home Depot and get some hanging baskets for the front porch.

JOEL: Let's go to Pike's [garden center] instead so we can ask the guys there what kind of plants would be good to landscape the front yard with.

ME: Okay so long as I can get my hanging baskets too.

Three hours later we found ourselves in the front yard without hanging baskets, and surrounded by $400 worth of shrubbery and piles of dirt and old pine needles.

In the midst of all this, just as Joel was wondering aloud what he'd gotten himself into, on this his first day off from work in like 14 days, and as the children were shoveling dirt onto each others' heads, and as I was complaining about my lack of hanging baskets -- the shingles for our new roof arrived and were deposited right in the middle of our driveway.

It was about that point that I panicked and told Joel he'd better have this whole mess cleaned up by the time the roofers arrived to start making their own mess. So Joel spent much of the weekend laboring in the yard, and I spent much of the weekend supervising from a lawn chair and taking pictures. Yes, some of us worked harder than others (as you will see from the pictures below)... But in the end, Joel got his landscaping done, I got my hanging baskets, and we even got a new roof today... The final picture below I took tonight, with new roof. Not that you can probably tell, seeing as how one roof looks pretty much like the next... anyway, very exciting stuff :P


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice work by all :) Love your house. So much more house-looking than mine :)