Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another Dorky Car Seat Post

Lately I have become so annoyed with Ben's car seat. First, I tried to take the cover off to wash it, and failed miserably. In the process I discovered that the user manual indicates that according to his height, he has outgrown the 5-point harness. On my to-do list was to remove the harness and convert the seat to a belt-positioning booster. So finally I got around to doing that this morning, and in the process became even more annoyed with the seat. With the harness removed, the extra padding on the seat is not held in place by anything so it falls right off, leaving the seat (I imagine) very uncomfortable. Additionally there's no way to remove the tether, latch straps, etc that are used with the harness system so you just have to bundle them up behind the seat. Which might be fine except that with the booster there's no way to anchor the seat in place so it just sits there on the seat. I have not driven the car yet with the seat this way, but I imagine it will be sliding all over the back seat. As if I didn't have enough to complain about, the base of the seat has sharp edges which dig into the car's leather seat.

So rather than put up with all of this, I decided it was time for Ben to get a new seat. We got a good two and a half years or so out of the old one, so I don't mind parting with it. I just ordered his new one, so he'll have to put up with the old one for a few more days.

The one I ordered him is the Clek Olli booster seat. Because I am such a dork, I am so excited by the fact that it "clicks" into the car's latch hooks, so is anchored in place (no sliding around). I also appreciated the different colors to choose from (I chose the "treehouse" pattern), and I am sure I will appreciate having only one big bulky seat in the car instead of two. Now when we have extra passengers in the car, it will be very easy to "snap" Ben's booster out to move to the third row, or just chuck it in the trunk if he's not traveling with us.

Anyway (since I am such a dork) I will post a follow up when the seat arrives to let you know if it lives up to my high expectations :) (Considering that it was 2 or 3x as expensive as most other backless boosters, it better).

2 comments:

Abigail said...

All well and good but do you still have an extra car seat for Charlie or do we need to bring ours with us when we come down for thanksgiving?

Amanda said...

we can take the one out of joel's car and use it for charlie.