Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Update


Caroline's had a bit of illness this week. She came down with croup over the weekend and was sick Monday and Tuesday. Fortunately it was not as bad as it was last time (no urgent care / steroids needed this time!) But still she was coughing a lot, had a low fever and was just generally cranky. To make matters worse she started to have diarrhea over the last few days. After a while of thinking about what we've been doing differently recently with her diet, I came to the conclusion that the culprit must be the gluten free bread I  bought last week and this week at Great Harvest Bread Co. They shut down on Mondays, clean all their equipment, and bake gluten free bread that day which is available in limited quantities and usually sold out by Wednesdays. Well I happened to be right next door last week at the vet's office so I picked up a loaf and Caroline liked it so much I picked up another loaf this week. I don't know why I thought I could trust that the equipment that has gluten on it all week long would be clean enough not to contaminate the gluten free bread they bake no matter how much they say they clean it/try to control for cross contamination. But, I think that must be it. After looking into it further, the general consensus seems to be that people who actually have celiac disease should not eat the gluten free bread from Great Harvest Bread Co. (Which leaves me wondering who does actually buy it? Apparently not anyone who really needs to eat gluten free!) Lesson learned. Unfortunately she ate it as recently as yesterday morning for breakfast (had diarrhea four times yesterday and once this morning so far) so it is going to take a couple more days to get out of her system. Poor kiddo -- double whammy this week :(

1 comment:

Abigail said...

Aww poor Caroline! She definitely doesn't look happy!