Monday, September 21, 2009

Learning From Big Brother

Two examples of how Becca is learning from her brother:

1. Last night I was taking a minute to go over Ben's "magic words" with him for school -- he has a "treasure box" that he brings home once a week with new flash cards of words they are learning to recognize at school. By now there's about ten words in there. Becca saw me doing the flash cards with Ben and she came running over and climbed up on the bed. "I want play! I want play!" she said. So, after I did the flash cards with Ben I had to do them with her, too. For her of course I just showed her the card and said the word for her, and she repeated it to me. She seemed to think it was a fun game, even though it was just words, no pictures or anything.

2. This next example is a little more annoying! When we are in the car, Ben always asks to listen to a certain CD which is a compilation of pop songs sung by kids. Lately he's been wanting to listen to the track "Allstar" (from the Shrek soundtrack), which he knows all the words to and asks me to put it on repeat so I have to listen to it constantly. He calls the song "Shrek" because he associates it with the movie. Anyway this morning I put Becca in the car after Ben got on the bus, and the CD was playing with that song on from the last time we'd all been in the car together. Thinking that I would FINALLY get a chance to listen to something else for a minute, I put the radio on. Instantly from the back seat I hear Becca's screech: "I want Shrek! Want Shrek!"

So I had to put it back on, and listen to her hum/try to sing it the whole way to preschool.

No comments: