Saturday, February 6, 2010

Splish Splash

This morning I took the kids to Ray's Splash Planet, which is an indoor water park that is part of the Mecklenburg County parks and recreation department. I had heard of it but had never been until today. It is not the most conveniently located - uptown where I hardly ever go - but only a 20 minute drive so not too bad.

We had a really fun time there, which I was pleasantly surprised at because when I announced to the kids that we were going to go, Ben started crying and saying he didn't want to (insert baffled look here). But by the time we got there and got changed into our swimsuits he was totally excited and had a great time. There was one big slide, which I didn't let him go on because he just barely met the height requirement and the sign said you had to know how to swim and he's really still learning. So he was disappointed at first, but there was a lazy river kind of thing where you ride an inner tube around in a circle and I let him do that which seemed to make up for it. There were also a couple of small water slides that I let him do, so he ended up being quite content.

Rebecca spent a while just walking in and out of the wading pool area, and then started playing with the water fixtures more, getting her head wet, splashing herself in the face, and having a great time. We stayed in the water for a good two hours, which I thought was a pretty impressive amount of time to keep them both occupied. It ended up being a lot of fun for them, and not too much work for Mom (except for the changing into/out of bathing suits), so successful all around. The only problem was I was busy in the water with them the whole time, so could not take any pictures! But at some point when Joel is around we'll go again I am sure. It is a good way to have some fun when the weather is not conducive to outdoor activities.

We rounded out the day with a play date/ dinner at a friend's house, so I am hoping that after such a full day the kids will sleep in tomorrow! Highly unlikely.

No comments: