Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Conversation Overheard

BEN: What kind of dog do you have?
NEIGHBOR: What's your name?
BEN: Ben. What kind of dog is that?
NEIGHBOR: My son is named Ben, too.
BEN: What kind of dog do you have?
NEIGHBOR: He's a golden retriver.
BEN: I don't have a golden retriever in my book.
NEIGHBOR: Oh really?
BEN: Is it a shiba?
NEIGHBOR: No.
BEN: Is it a cavalier king charles spaniel?
NEIGHBOR: No, it's a golden retriver. Is that your cat?
BEN: Yes.
NEIGHBOR: What kind of cat is it?
BEN: A Japanese* cat. Do you have a welsh corgi?
NEIGHBOR: No, just a golden retriever.

Ben was obviously disappointed. He has learned some dog breeds thanks to one of his books, but the only ones on our street seem to be ones that are not in his book. I will have to get him a big book of dog breeds, I've decided.

*Ulysses is a balinese cat, and I was pretty impressed actually that Ben got even remotely close.

No comments: