Saturday, August 8, 2009

Errands, Swimming, and Burgers

That about sums up our Saturday. Joel had to work this morning, and I took the kids out to do some shopping. We got most of Ben's school supplies -- he has this Kindergarten school supply list, which specifies in great detail everything he needs down to brand name, quantity, even color (such as "1 100 sheet count wide ruled marble composition book - red." If I had gotten him a green one, what would have happened? Would he start kindergarten with an automatic strike against his name? The kid who brought the wrong color marble composition book to class? Not wanting to take any chances, I passed over green, orange, and black and got him the red one. The list specified four folders with holes, but since no color was specified I let him pick Transformer ones. I hope that is okay.

After the school supplies, we purchased a necessity for our upcoming 10 hour drive to Philadelphia next weekend -- a dual screen car DVD system.... it comes with two nine inch DVD players that strap to the back of the driver & passenger headrests. They plug into the cigarette lighter, and can be connected together to play the same DVD on both players, or they can be used separately to play a DVD in each one. After explaining to Ben that this was only going to be used on long car rides, and not every day, I hooked it up to familiarize myself with it and make sure I knew how everything worked.

So for the rest of the day (to and from the pool and to and from dinner) the kids got treated to one of Ben's DVDs (Krypto the Superdog, which they both like) while we rode in the car. It was totally creepy because neither child uttered a peep -- at least not directed at me -- during any of these four car rides. Becca did squeal with delight a bit, and when we got into the car after dinner and the DVD player started she clapped and said "I got my doggie back!" I am not sure if she was referring to the Krypto the Superdog DVD or the fact that when you turn on the DVD player a pair of dogs shows on the screen while the DVD is loading. Anyway, they were both enthralled by it, and it's coming out of my car first thing tomorrow and not coming out again except for long car trips.

This afternoon, after errands and naps were finished, we met friends at the pool and then all went to dinner together. We went to Big Daddy's which we'd never been to before and is supposed to have really good hamburgers. Well, let me tell you -- THEY HAVE REALLY GOOD HAMBURGERS! I don't even really like hamburgers all that much, to be honest with you, but I had this hamburger that had fresh mozzerella, and pesto, and tomatoes, and onions, and pickles... let me tell you, it was the best hamburger I have ever had! I ate every last crumb. The kids (all four) were all very well behaved which gave the adults a nice chance to talk and enjoy our meals.

So to sum up -- Good day. Good Burger. Mmmmm....

No comments: