Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dinner Dillemmas

When it comes to dinner, lately I have a lot of dillemmas. Back in the old days (pre-kids) I had enough of a problem with dinner because of the picky eater I am married to, but with kids my problems have doubled. (Once Rebecca starts eating more solid foods maybe my problems will triple).

Joel has made strides to widen his culinary repertoire in many respects -- he now eats more vegetables and fruits than he used to, as well as fish and shrimp. But in other ways he has gotten more picky because he now follows a no sugar/low carb diet the staples of which are lean protein, fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Ben's culinary issues I have addressed previously. Throw in a 10 month old baby and a full time job, and what's a girl supposed to do for dinner?!

Here is what I have been doing the last few months. You go in and assemble (or have them assemble for you) all the raw ingredients for your meals, then keep them frozen and thaw and cook them as needed, following the cooking instructions which are usually very easy (like stick it in the oven). But it is hit or miss... some months there is not enough on the menu that Joel and Ben will eat for various reasons (actually Ben will almost never eat any of it) and sometimes the portion sizes are a little small (they claim to feed 4-6 people and we usually split them into half portions since there's only 3 of us eating them).

So on Saturday I am picking up a few meals from here instead, which is actually closer by and seems more flexible in terms of number of meals per order. The August menu looks better than the July menu, but I ordered 3 meals (splitting two of them into half portions) from the July menu. One of them I will take over to our neighbor who just had a baby. The others we will try out and then decide whether to continue with this place, go back to the other one, or try something else entirely.... like cooking from scratch? Nah...

1 comment:

Abigail said...

Or you could just do what I do and have your dinner menu consist of sloppy joes and pizza for the entire week... doesn't thst sound appealing?