Monday, July 7, 2008

Separation Anxiety

Maybe it was because of the three day weekend, but neither of my kids separated easily from me this morning. Becca was absolutely fine when I put her down on the play mat at her day care, put her bottles in the fridge, diapers in her cubby, signed her in, etc. Then I bent down and gave her a hug and a kiss goodbye, and her reaction was instantaneous - she started bawling so hard she had to pause mid-scream to catch her breath.

She was the easy one. Ben was in for a special treat today - skipping camp to go downtown to see the play Aladdin with his grandparents. But was he looking forward to it? Nuh-uh. As soon as the doorbell rang I heard the scamper of little feet as Ben high-tailed it for the hills. I found him in the hall bathroom, with his arms wrapped around the toilet and clinging for dear life as though he were going down with the Titanic. I had to pry him off and bodily march him out the door to the car, trying to reason with him over his sobs-- "You're going to have fun today! More fun than going to camp! Nanny and Papa are taking you out for a special day!" (Now get in the car and go have fun damnit!) I waved cheerfully as they drove away, Ben's little face still looking forlornly at me out the window. Good grief!

No comments: