Friday, July 4, 2008

Positively Unpatriotic

I was downright unpatriotic today. I did not dress either of the kids in red, white and blue, nor did I attend any 4th of July festivities. Joel took Ben to the JCC's 4th of July pool party, but it coincided exactly with Becca's naptime, and since Becca was beginning to show the subtle signs of illness that would go unnoticed by all but a trained professional (ok, she was running a fever) I decided that skipping naptime and spreading her germs around the public pool would be a bad idea all around. So I stayed home and read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (halfway through now) while Becca took a nap and then played with a Rubik's cube for an inordinately long time. (She did not solve it but I think she came close).

Later we ordered Chinese food (it's as American as apple pie, right?) and after the kids went to bed we watched another few episodes of Weeds (midway through season 2 now). When the fireworks started, my first thought was not to go to a window or go outside to see if I could see anything, it was "That better not wake the kids up!"

Independence Day? Bah, humbug!

No comments: