Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hawaiin Cow Brains

Usually a couple of times a week I let Ben eat breakfast at school because a) he gets to school a good half hour before the bell rings, b) the school cafeteria serves breakfast and c) it prevents me from having to listen to him whine about what he perceives to be limited breakfast choices at home.

So the other day he asked if he could get breakfast at school, and I said sure. After school I happened to ask him, "What did you have for breakfast?"

"I only had cereal," he said. "The menu said the main entree was a sausage patty on Hawaiin sweetbread."

"What's wrong with that? That sounds good," I said.

To which he responded with a disgusted look on his face -- "Did you not just hear me, Mom? I said SWEETBREAD! As in, COW BRAINS!!!"

After I stopped laughing hysterically (which took a while), I informed him that while yes, "sweetbreads" can mean cow brains, "sweet bread" can also just mean, well, sweet bread. And that I was pretty darn sure his school cafeteria was not serving a sausage patty atop cow brains. He did not seem completely convinced.

No comments: