Friday, April 6, 2012

Now Accepting Applications

After a long discussion about how miserable our lives have been over the last 3 weeks since I returned to work, Joel and I have decided the day care thing is just not working out, and despite the fact that it will be a lot more expensive, we've decided to try to hire a full-time nanny. In order to make it a little more cost effective, we'll drop Rebecca down to half-day preschool and remove Ben from the after school program, and possibly cut back on summer camp. So the nanny in addition to having charge of the baby full time, will also take care of Rebecca in the afternoons, and all 3 kids during school breaks/summers when they are not in camp.

The advantages over day care are that 1) hopefully Caroline will not get sick as much, 2) when the kids are sick the nanny will still come (I'll only be screwed when the nanny is sick), 3) Since I work from home I'll be able to see Caroline whenever I want, 4) I will have the nanny do Rebecca's preschool drop-off and pick up as well as for camp in the summer, so I won't have to do that any more and can get started at work earlier.

So far (using care.com) I have over 30 applicants. I have not begun to go through them/schedule interviews yet, but will start doing so next week.

No comments: